- Coase-Sandor Institute of Law and Economics, University of Chicago IL, USA (2018).
- Leadership in Law Firms Program, Harvard Law School, Cambridge MA, USA (2013).
- LL.M. 2010-2011, University of Chicago, Chicago IL, USA (2011). Courses taken: Corporate Governance, Business Organizations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Economic Analysis of the Law, Structuring Private Equity and Venture Capital, Antitrust, International Arbitration, and Law & Literature.
- Doctor en Derecho (J.D. equivalent), Universidad de Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay (2003).
- Procurador (Intermediate Degree), Universidad de Montevideo, Montevideo (2002).
- Baccalaureate in Law, PRE/U – Instituto Preuniversitario de Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay (1998).
- Primary and Secondary School education, Monte VI (1985-1996).
- Adjunct Professor of Corporations and Business Organizations (Derecho de las Sociedades Comerciales), Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2008 – present). As a professor, I have taught all the topics of the undergraduate course and participated in all aspects of the course, including the design of the curricula and topics; the preparation of bibliography, materials, cases and exercises to be used; the grading of tests, exercises and examinations; and the special mentoring of students.
- Assistant Professor of Corporations and Business Organizations (Derecho de las Sociedades Comerciales), Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2004 – 2007).
- Invited Professor, Course of Practical Corporate Law, Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2007). I oversaw and taught the course module of Corporate Law in the “Practicum” (practical course taught to students before graduation), with a special focus on practical aspects in the world of corporations and cooperatives.
Academic Research & Service
- Member of GLG – Gerson Lehrman Group (2017 – present). Expert member in corporate, bankruptcy and restructuring regulation under Uruguayan Law. In this capacity, I have advised international companies regarding the local bankruptcy regime and how corporations and trust operate in Uruguay.
- Member of the Group of “Anuario de Derecho Comercial” (Commercial Law Yearbook) (2015 – present). As a member of this research and investigation group of scholars I participate in the meetings under the direction of Prof. Ricardo Olivera García, where matters of commercial law are discussed. I have also lectured on topics of my specialization within the activities of the group.
- Academic Mentor, Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2008 – present). I mentor undergraduate students and help them develop the necessary skills to improve their performance at the university, while preparing them for a career as professionals.
- Member of “Grupo de Derecho Societario” (Corporate Law Group)l Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2008 – 2014). As a member of this investigation group of scholars, directed by Rosa Poziomek and Beatriz Bugallo, I participated in the organization of the meetings and in the discussion and lecturing of matters related to corporations and business organizations.
- Founder and Member of the Commercial Law Study Group, Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2007 – 2008). I created the “Commercial Law Study Group” to bring together law students with an interest in commercial law matters. This study group served as a precedent to the “Corporate Law Group” (GDS) created in 2008.
- Researcher for Prof. Ricardo Olivera García, Universidad de la República (UdelaR) (2003 – 2004). I researched and reviewed all the jurisprudence on disregard of legal entity from 1989 to 2003 to identify patterns of decision making in Uruguay, and assisted Prof. Olivera García in the critical analysis of the decisions and the conclusions.
- Member of the Family Law Group, Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (2002 – 2003). Participated in the group created by Walter Howard to investigate in matters of Family Law.
- Voluntary team advisor for “Abogado por un día”, Law School, Universidad de Montevideo (August-September 2002). Legal argumentation student contest “Being a Lawyer for a Day”, organized by Universidad de Montevideo for college students. I advised the students in the preparation of the cases, strategy and arguments.
My main areas of research are business organizations, corporate governance and insolvency and company restructuring. I have also written about capital markets’ regulation in Uruguay and the interplay of corporate law and financial theory for the valuation of stock participations. See complete list of publications.
I have participated as speaker in conferences, lectures and seminars in Uruguay and Argentina, on topics related to areas of my academic interest, as well as matters related to my professional practice. See complete list of presentations.
Seminars and Congresses
- Seminar “Transformación Digital”, IEEM Business School, Universidad de Montevideo (5-8 November 2018, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- Academic Week 2017 –Impulso y Desarrollo: el Derecho Comercial como organismo vivo. Organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (22-24 November 2017, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- Graduate Research Conference on Corporate Governance – Governance, Business and Law. Organized by Centro de Gobierno Corporativo of Universidad Católica de Chile (Chile) and Hennick Centre for Business and Law of York University (Canada) (6 November 2017, Santiago de Chile, Chile).
- Academic Week 2016 – Realidad del Derecho Comercial: tensiones y sinergias en su práctica actual. Organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (26-28 October 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- Academic Week 2015 – Los retos de la modernidad: cuestiones de Derecho Comercial actual. Organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (25-27 November 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- 6thArgentinian-Uruguayan Seminar of Commercial Law. Organized by the University of Buenos Aires and the University of the Republic of Uruguay (26 June 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- Academic Week 2014 – Consolidación y cambios: el fecundo panorama del Derecho Comercial. Organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (26-28 November 2014, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- Seminar about the new rules of arbitration of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC. Dr. Christian Albanesi, Counsel of the Iber-American team of the Secretary of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC. Organized by the Uruguayan Bar Association (11 October 2014, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- 2ndArgentinian-Uruguayan Seminar of Commercial Law. Organized by the University of Buenos Aires and the University of the Republic of Uruguay (29 July 2011, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- 11thAcademic Week – La Nueva Legislación Concursal – Ley 18.387. Academic Seminar 2008 organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (10-11 December 2008, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- 10thAcademic Week about the Antitrust Law Nº 18.159. Organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (7-8 November 2007, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- 9thAcademic Week about Trusts. Ad honorem Prof. Elsa Rivanera de Pais. Organized by the Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law (15-16 November 2006).
- International Seminar about Trusts (fideicomisos). Master Group Capacitación de Postgrado (15 September 2004, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- International Seminar about legal protection for Banks’ clients. Master Group Capacitación de Postgrado (20 May 2004, Montevideo, Uruguay).
- Business Organizations course, Prof. David Aronofsky and Prof. Bryn Vaaler. University of Montana (August 2003, Missoula MT, USA).
- Corporations and Business Organizations: a modern vision. Course about the regulation of business organizations in Spain. University of Salamanca (5-8 May 2002, Salamanca, Spain).
- OLIVERA Abogados, Partner, Corporate Department (2004 – present). My practice is focused on corporate and M&A, counselling local and international clients in general corporate and business matters, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and bankruptcy law, financial structuring and capital markets, corporate governance, shareholders’ conflicts and all sorts of corporate and commercial contracts. As a partner of the Firm, I have also been involved in the daily management of the Firm, overseeing matters of institutional communication, interaction with international rankings, human resources and representing the firm in organizations and networks such as TerraLex and the International Bar Association.
- Management Fiduciario y Profesional S.A. (MFP), Vice President (2014 – present). MFP is a company registered as Professional Trustee with the Central Bank of Uruguay, created to fulfill the needs of clients seeking a comprehensive structured financing assistance and advisory service. As a trustee MFP offers trust management services, including the administration and management of all kinds of assets in the form of real estate trusts, management trusts and guarantee trusts.
- Chambers & Partners Latin America. Ranked as Up & Coming in Uruguay for the area of Corporate and M&A (2017 – 2018).
- Legal 500. Ranked as Next generation lawyer in Uruguay for the areas of Corporate and M&A (2018) and Recommended Lawyer in Uruguay for the areas of Banking & Finance and Corporate and M&A (2014 – 2017)
- Leaders League. Ranked as Highly Recommended in Uruguay for the areas of Corporate Law and M&A (2017 – 2018).
- Who’s Who Legal. Ranked as Expert in Uruguay for the area of Government Contracts (2010 – 2016).
Memberships and Associations
- International Bar Association. Member of the Law Firm Management Committee, the Corporate and M&A Law Committee and the Latin American Regional Forum.
- Colegio de Abogados del Uruguay.
- TerraLex. Representative of Olivera Abogados in TerraLex. Collaborator and coeditor of the Strategic Communications Committee. Member of the following Practice Groups: Mergers & Acquisition, Antitrust & Competition, Bankruptcy/Insolvency and Construction, Infrastructure & Mining.
- Instituto de la Empresa, Academia Nacional de Derecho y Ciencias Sociales de Córdoba. Member of the of Business Institute of the National Academy of Law and Social Sciences of Cordoba, Argentina.
- Centro Empresarial de Mediación y Arbitraje de Buenos Aires (CEMA). Integrates the list of arbitrators of the CEMA (Mediation and Arbitration Business Center of Buenos Aires).
- Asociación Cristiana de Dirigentes de Empresa (ACDE). Member of the Christian Association of Company Managers.
- University of Chicago Alumni Club of Argentina.
Full CV: CV. Juan Martin Olivera. Blog. 2018